Tuesday, May 4, 2010

If the title confuses you at all it's because tonight's show, Psy, was so absolutely incredible I may have forgotten some of the other things that I did as well. I'm not even sure where to begin. I guess if you need a point of reference you could think of Cirque du Soleil. But it was still quite different. First off, the soundtrack was amazing. The songs were sort of a mix of electronica and tango, a lot of deep bass and some of the best beats that I have heard in a while. Then there was the story. You might say "I thought that the circus and acrobatic show didn't have a story" well you see, that's where this show was different. The show started with some facts being read over the PA about mental disorders (i.e. 25% of people will have enough symptoms to qualify as having a mental disorder). Then each character was introduced and their disease was named off. The diseases ranged from insomniac to amnesiac to manic to hears voices and so on. Each disease was linked to the actor's special ability. For example, the addict was the actor who performed in the german ring, which made sense with the interpretation of addiction being a cycle that can't be easily broken.

Everything was just incredible.
Here are some clips I found online:






So it was wonderful. And after the show, while we were all raving, the cast came out. I felt like the little kid who goes to the actors to ask for their autograph because that's exactly what I did. I had them sign my program. Granted some of them weren't there, but oh well. After talking with the actors, we found that they weren't sure where their tour would take them. It is a fairly new show and they are just now getting some of the producers to come watch. So if any theatrical producer happens to be reading my blog, this show is worth it! Book them!

Anyhow.

The other things that we did today:
-Went to the Museum of London. This is a free museum that focuses on London's history through the great fire of 1666 (at least that's what was open today, there was some construction going on that may have had more stuff). It was neat. I find some of the historical periods fascinating (not all of them though, I'm looking at you neolithic).
-We went to the Smithfield Market thinking it would have the same fair-like atmosphere of the Borough Market. It was closed.
-I had bangers and mash. It was yummy. (Sausage and Mashed Potatoes with gravy... in a box). Jason got the Pie and Mash with gravy. It was a pumpkin and goat cheese pie. And everything is served with mash.
-We went to the Banqueting House. This was actually more fun than I expected. It is a large reception hall that was built back by Henry VIII. It was pretty cool to take the self guided audio tour and to imagine all of the history that had passed through that building and all of the nobles that had been there. Charles I was even executed just outside the main door. The best part about the Banqueting House is the set of nine very large paintings on the ceiling that Charles commissioned from some famous painter that I can't remember. They are gorgeous. I will post pictures later.

Okay. I need to sleep. I am unsure what is happening tomorrow. There is a show that was scheduled as optional, but it sounds like it may be canceled for the class due to content. We'll see, I may have to make some plans on my own, or just get caught up on homework and picture processing for the trip.

3 Comments:

  1. Laurel C. said...
    I'm so glad that you're sharing your London details with us! What a great experience you're having. (Way to state the obvious, Laurel.)

    Keep the posts coming!
    Unknown said...
    so so so so so jealous of all the fun foods you are eating! also, I miss you! also Have fun!!
    Bradwich said...
    Wow, that was frankly amazing. And to top it off, the first video had the Avalanches. Too cool.

Post a Comment



Ratatat | Lex