Friday, July 31, 2009

The Man Who Cried Woof...

Don't worry, that's the title of a play, I'm not creative enough to have come up with that tasty little play on words/phrase.

So, remember the post where I said I wasn't doing anything with my life? It was a lie. A blatant, terrible lie. I have been doing stuff and things. It's been great.

One of these stuffs that I have be doing is directing for a local theatre group known as New Play Project.

Tonight I had the wonderful experience of seeing the fruits of my labors. That's right. It was the opening night of Mixed Up, the newest ten-minute play festival from this unique group. I say unique because the aim of New Play Project is a little different from any of the theatres that I have found here in Utah Valley. We (I've worked with them long enough that I can include myself) work at giving local playwrights, especially LDS playwrights, an opportunity to have their work produced and to provide an environment for them to develop their skills.

It's an entirely volunteer based organization, from the top to the bottom. I have worked with them in the capacity of actor, assitant director, director, supervising director (you'll remember this from December, or you won't, not sure), lead photographer (I add the 'lead' part to make it sound cooler), and more recently, financial manager (probably a mistake on their part). Try putting all of that on a resume. It has been great experience for me, and I feel like I get to put my schooling into practice.

Anyhow, what this all comes down to is that I have a show running right now. In the past I have been chastised for not being good enough at advertising to my family and friends. So here's your official invite. The show runs for the next two weeks (9 performances left) and the cost is only $5 a ticket (because we're cheap). However, if you're in town and you want to see what has been occupying me, and what will occupy me for the rest of my life, come to 100 N 100 E in Provo. You can even pre-order tickets here.

Also, if you check out the website, or the facebook event/group, you may see some photography by me. Not the best, but that's mostly because theatre shooting is a beast (low lighting that is ever changing, but that doesn't mean the actors stop and pose for me. Grrr....)

Oh, and cheers to having two posts in a week. I'll just go ahead and congratulate myself on that one.

1 Comment:

  1. Natalie said...
    I loved the last New Play Project performances, but I don't think we'll be able to make it with a new baby. Congratulations with the directing! It must be so nice to see your hard work paying off.

Post a Comment



Ratatat | Lex